RC Snubber Filters consist of a capacitor and resistor connected in series across a switch which is controlling an inductive load.
For reactive power compensation and mainly for voltage regulation purposes, shunt reactors are used at different voltage levels in the electric utility. During the turn-off action of the breaker or contactor considerable huge over-voltages are created due to sudden interrupt of an inductive current. In order to prevent any damage to system equipment, high frequency transient overvoltage surge suppressors, so called RC snubber filters are used in parallel with shunt reactors or in any other inductive loads as in protection of motors, transformers and generators from steep wave-front, short time rise, high magnitude, spikes, surges transient over-voltages and circuit switching. They clamp the voltage overshoot due to the current interruption and damp out the oscillations safely.
- Longer insulation lifetime for machinery
- Protects against insulation failures between windings
- Protects against arcs between the contacts of vacuum circuit breakers and other switchgear caused by high frequency over voltage
- Protects against high frequency over voltage specifically caused by arc furnaces
- Eliminates downtime due to insulation failures
- Eliminates multiple pre and re-strike transients of vacuum and other switching devices
- Three and single phase
- Large motors
- Induction and arc furnaces
- Motor-Generator sets
- Shunt reactors
- Mine winders
- Auxiliary Supplies
- Dry type transformers